Well, all the wait and talk is over! If you’re a Golfing fan living in the UAE you still have a lot more Golf on offer. It’s just been confirmed that the season-ending Race to Dubai will be staying at Jumeirah Golf Estates for another 3 more years.
This stay includes a name change to the final event. No longer will the finale be called the Dubai World Championship! Welcome to the DP World Tour Championship Dubai… queue the rebranding!
Main Photo: Live in the Press Conference 30 minutes ago
A few points on the deal:
- The prize money is going to be $8 Million with the bonus pool yet to be confirmed
- The field of 60 will be the same
- They may add another sponsors name to the title and are looking for one it seems
- Will be on the Earth Course as it is in superb condition, may be open to moving on to Fire
- Nakheel acting chairman said that the Jumeirah Golf Estates construction and surroundings will be pushed forward for next years event. Hinting that the housing, entrances and the Clubhouse etc may be opened
- Other global places did approach the Tour to enquire about the name sponsorship but that’s all they were just enquiries
- All parties are happy with the deal
All in all a good outcome for Dubai and Golf in this region. I hope the authorities can push forward and capitalize on this announcement. The whole project around JGE and Sports City may get a much-needed injection to finish things quicker, great for Dubai residents.
Back to the Golf